About Me

My photo
Sharing Christ’s love with mothers who give birth in the social Hospital of Heredia, Costa Rica by giving “new mother care packages”. Packages consist of baby and mother necessities needed during the hospital stay. Packages will be hand delivered to the mothers at the hospital as supplies and donations are received. Basic kits include, knitted hat and or receiving blanket, diapers, washcloth, baby soap, water bottle and christian literature. We rely upon U.S. based knitting circles to help with the making of hats for the newborns and take donations both of supplies and monitarily from churches and individuals who wish to be of support this ministry.

Monday, August 12, 2013

The first visit


Wow what a summer!  I am so sorry for not updating, our summers are very busy and I also moved from our previous location to a home where the internet does not really work. I have so much to tell but I believe I will separate it into various post.  This first post will be strictly about our first visit. The first visit was overwhelming and exciting and not what I would have anticipated. All this time I was wanting to make sure I didn’t get in the way, to stay in the hospital staffs good graces etc, which is still my intent, but I was received with open arms. For this first visit there were two of us. I along with, Xenia who has been with me in the journey from the day I thought of this, as well as being a spiritual mother to me, and my kids Costa Rican “grandmother”.  We were waiting at reception to meet my contact, head of communications when in a moment she arrived with 6 other women with her. These ladies are hospital volunteers under a catholic covering. I think of them as little mother Teresa’s. They were all there and they took us as if we were quite important to the rooms while my communications contact snapped pictures here and there to use in the hospital newsletter.  We were in and out in a matter of an hour and had passed out about 40 kits.  After I got home I was able to truly process what had occurred. First, we were very well received. Second we were esteemed and put in a form of honor that I did not covet and I admit, found myself shrinking away from. I was actually embarrassed about the attention as my intent was and is to reach out to the women there, and not to exalt myself.  While I had anticipated making an announcement as I entered into each room explaining why we were there, I did not anticipate an audience with me; I admit I was intimidated. I was encouraged to speak louder and with confidence and Xenia later told me she was praying by my side the whole time. I was torn between not wanting to give off a “look at me I’m the American coming to bring you these things” but also wanting to comply with however the hospital would allow me to come and pass the kits out.  So as we made quick entries and exits to the corresponding areas I did not get to visit per say but I did get a few names and was able to say a few encouraging words.  The part that floored me was that while all along my intent was to be able to have access to visit the area where moms are settled with the babies, the very first place I was taken was to the recovery room followed by the labor room before ever visiting the area with newborns.  I had never dreamed of being able to go into those areas. I will post more on that later but with the exception of one of the future visits due to a strike going on that day, I have been able to continue going into the labor and recovery hall.  You will later read that for future visits we are able to stay and visit in each room and the cameras are no longer there and we don’t have the entire group of volunteer ladies with us so the attention is on the women in the hospital beds and not on me, but God did teach me to not shrink away when he is being uplifted even if it is through me. That in the end he is the one being Glorified ,not me, so stop trying to hide when and if any future “cameras” come out in my life but instead be bold proclaiming God’s glory.  I have however put away my sunglasses..ha! A smile and a friendly word are more powerful than any key to any door you are wanting to open.  Please read the next post which goes into more detail about other visits.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment